Monday, July 16, 2012

Tear Down the Wall

Sorry, most of you will find this boring, but as you know, I strive for completeness.  It's late Monday night and I really need to get to sleep so maybe tomorrow I will put up some videos of the concert. Anyway, around 5:00 on Saturday, I decided to go see Roger Waters do The Wall in Philly.  I found a ticket on Craigslist, then left everyone at the Shore and drove to Citizen's Bank Park.  He was only doing a handful of these concerts across the country and I didn't want to miss it.  I'm not going to try and explain Pink Floyd's The Wall but I will leave you with some words from Roger Waters:

My early manhood was troubled by all kinds of feelings of inferiority, and inconsequence, I was that guy at parties who only ever dressed in black and stood in the corner and scowled at people. Very often those attempts by the young to be cool are just because they're absolutely scared. I certainly was. The writing of The Wall was part of a process that I used to free myself from some of those neuroses, and some of those fears. Fear is a very pernicious element in many of our lives ... (It) is in lots of ways similar to the fear that is engendered in nations and ideologies. ... We build up these defences and the fear that we establish about other, anybody that's not us.

 The metaphorical wall that he built up around himself was represented by a giant wall across the outfield.  


 As the concert goes on, the wall is built up one brick at a time.
 Roger Waters.
 The teacher.
 Mother.

 The wall is filling up!

 By the end of the first set, the wall was complete.
 Intermission.  I got to check out the Phillies dugout!


 It was a very political concert.  There was a constant stream of images of people that Roger feels were oppressed or died for the wrong reasons.



 The Trial.  At the end of the show everyone yells, "Tear Down the Wall" and finally it collapses .  I do have video of that.  It was a spectacular show.  The trip back to the shore was not bad.  50 minutes from door to door.  
 Sunday morning, Melissa showed Ariel how Facebook works.
 Aden chilled out.
 Some more walking by the baby.

 A quick bike ride before the beach...

No comments: